Tuesday 2 March 2010

Pilgrims Antiques Centre West Street Dorking St David's Day.

Welcome to my weekly ramble through places, history and Pilgrims Antiques shop in Dorking.
It is too late to wish you a happy St David's Day - that was yesterday. But if you have any Welsh blood in you I hope it was good for you.
I am proud of Welsh roots from the past, my Grandmother was a Jones and her ancestors came from North Wales; and now my son lives in North Wales and I enjoy being there.

When I arrived at the shop I thought that perhaps Sue had also been thinking of St David, but her new window display reflects Spring and Mother's day. Thank you, Sue for a good display and the little daffodils which I could borrow to enhance some photographs.


So it was the day of Dewi Sant, celebrated throughout Wales.
Lots of singing and the wearing of daffodils and leeks.
The leeks came first in history. In medieval times it was quite hard for ordinary soldiers to recognise who was on which side of the battle.
The Welsh opted to wear leeks in their caps so that they could know who was friend or foe.
This led to confusion later on because the Welsh for leek and daffodil are the same - the daffodil is Peter's leek.
Strangely I found no china or ornaments in the shop depicting leeks!
But there were daffodils.
And I had hoped for dragons in the shop - but we will have to make do a with a copy of the Welsh flag.



Now for a browse amongst the things I found with a Welsh connection in the shop.


It was that jug that prompted me to think about St David's Day.
It is being sold with a huge wash bowl by Jo.
The cup and saucer are Jo's too.


I have some books in my area - mostly concentrating on Dorking and district.
But for a special day I found books connected with wales.


Portmeirion china being sold by Jo and me.
This is cheating because the china is not made in Wales - it is Staffordshire china.
But Portmeirion is in Wales.


The daughter of the founder of the Italianate Portmeirion, Susan Williams Ellis, established the pottery and she was responsible for some of their famous designs.


Daffodil saucer and Welsh spoon.


Louis Marx toys are collected widely.
It was originally an American based company, but in 1945 production began in Swansea.
In 1992 Louis Marx closed their Welsh factory.


Welsh costume is worn in parades on St David's Day.
The brass Welsh lady bells are being sold by Julie.
The other item is not a pair of binoculars, but a salt and pepper pot being sold by Jonathan.

A modern milk jug and sugar bowl, with stylised daffodils, being sold by Ann.

A pine Welsh dresser being sold by Monika.
I am not sure if a true Welsh dresser has glass doors.
But the description certainly fits this style of furniture.


Glorious Wales!
This picture of Mount Snowdon was taken last March.
Whatever occasion or event you might like to find something unusual for, Pilgrims Antiques Centre is a good place to start your hunting.
I apologise that the quality of the pictures this week is not as strong.
I realised that my lens was thick with salt blown in the air on a windy beach last weekend.
If you should want to see any picture in more detail then click on the image and use the back arrow on the computer to return to the main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment