Tuesday 1 June 2010

Pilgrims Antiques West Street Dorking. Hats, gloves and bags.

Flaming June already!
It hasn't felt very warm today though.

I didn't think I would be posting a blog about the shop this week.
Like most of the antiques shops in Dorking's West Street, Pilgrims Antiques does not open on a bank holiday Monday.

But Bill and I called in yesterday, whilst the shop was closed to tidy up our areas and re-arrange and slot in recently found items.
We were on the way back from a huge car boot sale at Epsom, where we had got quite cold. It was good to stop in the shop and make a cup of tea to warm up a bit.
I really enjoy being in the shop, amongst all the things which hold secrets of their past.

Maybe it was because we were feeling cold, my mind focused on hats and gloves - could have done with a scarf!
I noticed that Jo had hats in her area - some beautiful black toppers.
So, I quickly took some photos on the hats and gloves and bags theme.

I stood the chosen items on an oval occasional table in Terry's area.


The head dress is made of wax.


One of the top hats.

A straw boater - just right for a regatta - it will be Henley regatta soon.


A 1960s hat, bag and gloves.


Black topper and its original box.


Stylish grey topper.
You could buy well here sir, for that special occasion.


1950s beach bag - mine.


Jo has 2 areas - this is the part where she has textiles, fabrics, lace, hats, feathers and so much more.

Having spent a couple of hours playing with things on my own shelves, I thought I would photograph them too.

China and glass from the 1950s and 60s mostly.
The orange Carlton Ware money box next to the beach bag on the top shelf must date from the 1970s - it is just so of that style.

My kitchenalia section. This part of my section is doing very well just now.
Do come in and see what we all have to offer - almost anything can be found from the last 200 years. And if you don't see what you are looking for, then please ask.
There will be more next week.
Meanwhile I shall be in North Wales for a few days. I am hoping that Flaming June will live up to its name.
I shall be in touch with the shop by phone - queries with dealers, not actually in the building can normally be dealt with.

1 comment:

  1. love that little bench! Big D reckons that the mytery object could be for weighing bags of corn or flour - perhaps a for a 1cwt weight on one side or a sack on the other - can't quite work out the scale/size of it, so could be for weighing something heavy in a kitchen.

    ReplyDelete