Tuesday 6 July 2010

Pilgrims Antiques Centre Dorking. One day in the life of a trader.

" Hooray!
It's Monday morning and I will be off to Pilgrim's Antiques."
Not for me the "Oh No! It's Monday already!"
Each of us who sell in the antiques centre must contribute time as well as rent money.
Bill and I are there on Mondays.
We gather together things that we want to add to our displays and set off along the familiar roads - in our case from North Sussex to the Surrey Hills.
We open up the shop and greet Monika and Julie who work with us on Mondays.
We tell of our activities and our interesting finds and follow each other around to view the latest things we have all brought in to tempt the customers.
We put the kettle on, make a drink and then get to work, finding spaces or rearranging shelves to enable the new stock to be seen clearly.
There is much chat and laughter amongst ourselves and then with people who come in to see what is new since their last visit.
There are also people who have never been in before and we are so glad that they feel they have discovered a treasure chest to explore.
Other people come in because they have things they no longer treasure and wish to sell.
We try to give the best advice we can. Sometimes things might be more suitable for some of the others who sell in Pilgrims; sometimes we suggest that they take their things to Windibanks, the Dorking auction house. If we feel they have over estimated the value of their things we might suggest selling things at a car boot sale - there is one every Sunday at Dorking Station, or maybe donate to a favourite charity shop.
But rest assured we are all always interested in the things that other people no longer feel is part of their lives.
My own experience of these situations is that I so fear anybody feeling that they have been ripped off by a rogue trader that I offer more than I really should. I think most of us do that.
Later I console myself that I will probably get my money back, even if I make no profit!
Yesterday, sales were good and we were happily busy.
I had the pleasure of investigating the lovely new jewellery that Hilary has in her cabinet and sold a lovely ring that 2 delightful young women were buying for their friend's birthday.
Never worry about asking for a cabinet to be opened - I think we all love the opportunity to take a closer look at things ourselves.
Each of us slips out for a while during the day - for shopping, for a bite to eat, for a breath of fresh air or maybe to take parcels to the post office.
I sell some things on EBay (there are other internet auction sites), so often have parcels which are sent to addresses all round the world.
Just at the moment the amount I have selling is small - but if you are an EBay lover you can find me at monkland119.
Yesterday afternoon I happily strode along with one parcel, destined for Singapore. I walked with head held high, for I was feeling good.
Perhaps it would have been better if I had looked at the ground!
My foot found a small pot hole as I crossed the road and my ankle turned.
Fortunately I stayed on my feet - just!
But ouch! It hurt!
It had been my intention to do some photos for this blog posting when I got back into the shop.
But I chose to stay seated instead, with a cold compress round my ankle. So, no photos of the shop this week.
Sorry!
I like to have photos of my favourite things. And each week I have new things to enjoy. I only ever buy things to sell that I, personally, love. I often photograph some of my purchases before sending them on their way.


Here is a photo I took last weekend at home.
The step ladder would look so good to display things on in Pilgrims, I thought.
But it is not there - it was sold very quickly yesterday morning.
The rolling pin went later in the day.
The two enamel slop buckets are not yet in the shop and nor is the white basket are magazine rack.
Our day in the shop ends at about 5 o'clock.
That's the time it says on the door that we close; but if people are happily browsing at 5 o'clock we don't intrude and stay as long as they need us.
We drive back to Sussex feeling tired, but happy.
Do come and be part of my Monday some time - or come and join the people who man the shop on other days.

No comments:

Post a Comment